Tasting Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

 




Name: Santa Margherita 
Variety: Pinot Grigio
Region: Valdadige
Country: Italy
Year: 2021
Price: $21

Winery review by Jon Rogers: 
  • Strong and noticeable aroma
  • Initial apple-like aroma
  • As it developed, hints of grapefruit from afar and tart apple up close
  • Bright in taste
  • Noted flavors were primarily citrus, including lemon and grapefruit 
  • Can immediately tell this wine has a good amount of acid in it
  • The wine’s finish was medium to long--about nine seconds until the flavor dissipated on the palate

Rogers, J. (2015, May 25). Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio Review. Honest Wine Reviews. https://www.honestwinereviews.com/santa-margherita-pinot-grigio-review

Wine Folly: I could taste a hint of the lemon, apple, and pair, though the white nectarine was too subtle to detect. The wine tasted pretty dry, with some sweeter notes of honey. 


My review: I tasted this wine with sushi. From the description, I saw that it pairs well with seafood, so I chose it for my dinner tonight. I can immediately tell this wine is very acidic by an almost metal-like smell. I could understand why this wine was recommended with fish after noticing its citrus flavoring. I personally do not like that sour smell from my white wines. The wine feels light and thin as I chew it in my mouth. As I swirl it around, the legs of the wine fall down fast, which indicates a lower viscosity. The taste itself is robust and mirrors the smell almost precisely. While it is smooth, the wine is also tart, and I made a sour face after savoring it. I don't think I would rebuy this, but other people seemed to enjoy it.

 

Comments