Tasting Rue de Perle Pinot Noir









Name: Rue de Perle 

Variety: Pinot Noir 

Region: Bourgogne 

Country: France 

Year: 2020 

Price: $13 

Wine Critic Review: "A brambly nose full of wild cherry and fresh-snapped twigs, this elegantly balanced wine shows classic red fruit over crushed rock and a little bitter cherry stone. Sweet up front and dry on the finish, this is a classic old-world style of Pinot Noir." From <https://www.ultimate-beverage.com/ultimate-wine-challenge-UWC/2019-wine-results/Rue-de-Perle-Pinot-Noir-2017-Burgundy/> 

Wine Folly: Page 150 of the wine folly breaks down the flavor profile of pinot noir wines. This particular wine typically has a higher alcohol, acidity, and tannin content than sweetness. This variety is recognized a light-bodied wine amongst other reds, and is known for its red fruit and spice flavors. Recommended pairings for this wine are duck, chicken, pork and mushrooms. These heavier food recommendations tell me this wine is probably on the heavier side. The key notes the folly identifies in this variety are cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, and vanilla.  

My Review: After swirling the wine and taking a waft, I immediately smell its dryness and a black cherry/oaky aroma. There is also an overwhelming alcohol smell that makes it harder for me to identify any more notes without tasting them. During my tasting, I could also pick up subtle blackberry notes; even to my surprise, the wine tasted like a bit of banana. My mouth also started watering, which told me that this wine would pair best with some food. I agree with the folly that this wine would complement meats well, though I had a hard time seeing it pair with mushrooms. I liked this pinot noir and would rank it at a 7/10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tasting Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio